Pages

Wednesday 15 August 2012

My first time.

I thought I'd start off my first "post" talking about my first project. When I took that beginner's class, the lady taught us the basics and then she gave us a project. As predicted, nobody had actually finished their project by the end of that class (except mine was almost done - overachiever, much?), so I don't actually know how anyone's came out.

Anyways, the first project was a basic cowl with this really beautiful silk yarn that she dyed for each of us. I chose a coppery/amber colour. She had us cast on 110 stitches and then alternate between knitting and purling for the first 5 rows and then it was supposed to be knit the rest of the way (Right knit, Left purl) and then finish off with another 5 rows of alternating knit and purl. I have to say, by the time I was finished, I'd never seen anything uglier in my life. I had missed a bunch of stitches so there were holes, I somehow managed to increase a few times, I was alternating between making really tight and really loose stitches and I kept knitting so I could only do 2 alternating knit and purl rows before I had to bind off (which came off really tight and I could barely get the piece over my head), after which I ran out of yarn. The project was done on straight needles so we had to use leftover yarn to sew together the two ends of the project. Because I had no yarn left, I had to use sewing thread (which was the worst mistake of my life).

I'm sorry for the crappy quality, but here's the scarf when I was close to binding off.


About a month later, I decided to pull apart the scarf and re-do it. I can tell you now, never use sewing thread to sew together the two ends. I cut it fine, but when I began pulling the scarf apart, the pieces kept getting stuck because there was little threads caught between the yarn. It was the biggest pain in the ass. Eventually, I managed to get my yarn back into a big roll and I started again! I should probably add, before I ripped apart my project, I counted out the rows so that I could approximate at which point I should start ending with my 5 knit/purl rows. That worked out pretty well but I ended up doing 7 rows because I still had so much yarn. I still have quite a bit of yarn left, but I'll be using that to sew together the ends (which I have not done yet).

Please excuse the pictures, it was an odd day and the lighting kept going weird.


This is the truest to the colour of all the pictures.




2 comments:

  1. That's a really nice coloured yarn, I don't usually like browns but I'd wear that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thanks for being my first follower! C: PS. Sorry about the late reply, my reply button wasn't working.

      Delete

 

Copyright © cavalries Design by Free CSS Templates | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger